Rescue Dog Matching Service
Love Your Canine will help you find the right dog from San Diego Animal Services or the Humane Society free of charge! (adoption fees still apply)
- Many times people choose the dog that "comes right up to say hello" or one that "looks so cute!" Unfortunately these are not good ways to choose a dog who will be a family member for the next 10-16 years.
- Many factors must be taken into account when choosing a dog. These include: how much time you will have to spend with the dog, how big your backyard and home are, and most importantly what your activity level is. If you are a couch potato adopting a border collie no matter how "cute" or "friendly" the dog is it will most likely be a poor choice for you, similarly if you are a triathlete who runs 10 miles a day and you want a running companion a bull dog would also be a poor choice.
- Most of the dogs in the pound are not as easy to categorize by typical breed activity level because many of the dogs in the pound are mixed breeds. This is where Love Your Canine comes in...
- We will help you find the perfect addition to your family free of charge (adoption fees for the pet still apply). We want to help you rescue a dog and find the right one for you and your family. This may or may not be the "cutest" or "the one that jumped on the cage to say hello" but it will be one that you and your family will love and is a good fit with your lifestyle.
- Some important questions to answer before adopting:
- Does the dogs energy level match your own?
- Do you have enough time for a new dog?
- Does your entire household want to take on the responsibility of a new pet?
- Dogs are pack animals dogs and everyone living with the dog must want them to be a part of the family
- Are there other dogs or pets in the house hold?
- Are there children in the household?
- Do you have enough money saved for dog expenses including enough for an emergency visit if needed?
- All values are approximate:
- Adoption fees $95-150
- High quality dog food $40
- Vaccinations $40 (may be current)
- Spay/Neuter $75-150 (may have already been performed)
- Vet visit (free exam with adoption) typically $40 ER trips can run $1500 easily
- Frontline $40
- Heartworm test $35
- Heartworm preventative $50
- Toys $30
- Leash $30
- Collar $15
- Tag $10
- Crate $50
- Treats $5
- Clicker $6
- Obedience Classes $125
- Total cost of a healthy new dog is approximately $800-1000
- Some things to look for in the dog before you adopt:
- Is the dog aggressive towards people (including children) or animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.). Is the dog aggressive over its territory, food or toys?
- Is the dog responsive to vocal sounds and commands by you?
- Is the dog fearful, high energy, or anxious?
- Does the dog bark frequently?
- Is the dog healthy? (A free vet check is included with adoptions)
- Was the dog surrendered by its previous owner?
- If yes, what was the reason for surrender?
- Does the dog get along with everyone in the household (including current pets)?
- If you think you are ready to rescue a dog from the pound and would like the assistance of Love Your Canine feel free to make an appointment! View available dogs in San Diego using the links below.